Thursday 18 September 2014

30-Day Blogging Challenge: Day 17: Class Sizes

Day 17: What do you think is the most challenging issue in education today?

Since I have to pick one, I'd say that the most challenging issue (for me) in education today is class sizes. So many of the other issues in education could be addressed if class sizes were addressed.

I think my ideal class has twelve students.

If we had better funding for public education this might be possible.

Imagine the possibilities and advantages to a class of twelve. When I had a chance to think about having a superpower in the classroom, I picked Time Reduction to give me the time to do the things I need to do. A class of a dozen students with one teacher allows for significantly more personalized attention and a much better educational experience for all.

With a dozen students in a class:

  • you'd only have a dozen families to get to know really well
  • emails would be much more manageable
  • meetings with students and their parents could be held regularly to discuss progress, challenges and collaboratively set goals
  • you'd only have a dozen report cards to write
  • you'd only have a maximum of twelve IEPs to write. In fact, with only twelve students, you could (and should) create an IEP for each and every student (not necessarily an official "IEP", but something like the Annual Learning Plan that I'm using with my class this year)
  • authentic differentiation would be much easier
  • assessing and evaluating twelve students would take significantly less time
  • you'd have space for the kids to move around in the classroom
  • the relationships you'd form with a small group would be real, deep and meaningful
  • teachers would realize that their job is valued and that society sees how challenging it can be to try to "put cats in a bag". That's how teaching a large class feels most days.
It's not to say that great educators don't accomplish this with classes upwards of 30, but imagine how much easier it would be with tiny classes.

On the rare days (or parts of days) when I've had twelve students in my room, I've seen how productive, engaged and valued they feel with far fewer people dividing my attention.

10 comments:

  1. Totally agree with this. I have 29 grade 1's and 2's and I'm feeling overwhelmed with how many bodies are in my room. I want to give then all more 1 on 1 attention but there is no way. I also want to start my conferences but they are so many I can't.
    How did you come up with 12?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,

      Thanks for reading and commenting. I can't remember where 12 came from, other than I've had 12 in the room a handful of times over the past few years and we've all kind of sighed and said, "What if?" It just feels like a manageable number, with enough bodies to make all kinds of groups (6 pairs, 3 groups of 4, 4 groups of 3 or 2 halves of 6).

      I am trying to figure out ways to manage 1:1 time with 23 and think I'll have to set up a schedule or at least make a goal to meet with a handful each day and not worry about getting to all 23 every single day.

      Shauna

      Delete
  2. This is a very interesting reflection, Shauna, and I definitely agree that smaller class sizes are often ideal. I think though that student needs sometimes trump numbers. I've had really small classes before, but with so many student needs, that I still sometimes find it difficult to address all of them. I've also had bigger classes before, but with such independent workers and strong students, that the numbers were never a problem. As teachers, I just wonder if we're always looking at ways that we can meet more student needs, and lower numbers seem to make the most sense. Is this always the case though? I'm not sure.

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aviva,

      Good point. There are reasons to have even smaller classes when needs are very high.

      A team of 12 is just so appealing to me that I'd love to try it in real life. I suppose I actually mean a team of 13, as I'd be included as well!

      I don't think there is ever anything that is a "one-size fits all" solution, and I suppose this post reads like I think 12 is the magic number. I know it wouldn't always work, but man, I'd love to give it a try. Plus, trying to pick ONE issue that is THE biggest problem in education? Tricky! I wanted to pick something that I felt strongly about to reflect on.

      Shauna

      Delete
    2. This totally makes sense, Shauna, and as someone that started the year with 12 students, it's definitely a nice number. I'm just wondering if the number can always "stand alone." I'm not sure about that.

      Aviva

      Delete
  3. Totally agree class size matter. If we are to reach every students throughout the day and really reflect on what they have learned, surely class size matter. I have 31 in the am and pm. wow sometime I feel I did not get a chance to speak to every students and it surely bother me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rola,

      It's funny that we have ratios in place (for safety) on field trips, but most of our classes have no cap. On an out-of-school event, an adult "can" only manage 8, 10 or 12 students. In the classroom, we can be placed with up to 40 students and be expected to meet all their needs.

      Shauna

      Delete
  4. Your post has got me thinking! I think for me, an ideal class size would be between 15-20. In my board, the largest high school classes cap at 32, while others (applied-level) cap at 23. I have had smaller classes of about 12, and found that the minute one or two students were out of class for various events, the class was too small for a good dynamic to evolve. I enjoy the good banter you can have with various groups within the class as they work through labs or inquiry-based activities, and I do miss that when the class gets too small. I can imagine, though, it's very different in an elementary classroom! Thanks for the food for thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good point about ratios! Never thought about that before. I have 26 this year and have never had a class this small. Even 4 fewer students is making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I'm going to be in the same boat. I have 29 now and will be reorged to 23. I made a parent contact schedule to contact 2-3 parents per day with an update. I know that there is no way that you can meet with 23 students each day. Im going to make a schedule and hope to get to half in either daily 5 or math centers. That seems more managable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete