Since becoming connected to other educators online (through Twitter, Skype in the Classroom and blogs), I've noticed an empowering trend - educators picking their own personalized professional development. We seek out the people, thoughts and ideas that inspire us and can easily communicate with them.
Here's the plan for Think Tank: #thta
- No one is as smart as all of us: Educators of all shape, form and role (staff in public, Catholic or private schools; consultants; university and college profs; pre-service teachers...) get together at a pre-determined location in Ottawa on the third Thursday of each month for dinner, drinks, support, inspiration and/or planning.
- The Best of What Is, Imagine What Could Be: We will use an Appreciative Inquiry model (more about that later!) to informally discuss the things that participants are passionate about and want to change.
- ECO: Evolving, Collaborative and Organic Process: Think Tank will be a really organic process, giving participants freedom to direct conversations in the way that is helpful to them, sharing and talking with other participants, connecting them to amazing ideas and people along the way.
- Blue Sky Thinking: Ultimately and eventually, I'd love to find people who are interested in helping me follow some of my BIG blue sky dreams - which include: exploring the BEd model; applying for grants to increase technology (and tech training for teachers) in classrooms and schools; starting an experimental school within the public board; starting a tutoring centre a la 826 Valencia; rewrite curriculum documents with a focus on competencies rather than content (plus lots of emotional intelligence and responsible citizenship); equity within public education with schools "sistering" to help one another with fundraising; lobby for system-wide change (small class sizes, elimination of standardized testing, to name a few goals!) - and have people share their own and find support for them!
Is this right for you?
- Are you a passionate educator of some shape, form or role?
- Do you live in the Ottawa area? Are you visiting the Ottawa area on a Think Tank Third Thursday?
- Are you willing to use some of your personal evening time to meet with other passionate educators?
- Do you have questions, dreams, ideas and plans you'd like to share?
- Thursday, September 25th, 2014 7 p.m.-whenever, 1000 Sushi Islands, 1696 Carling Ave., Ottawa (EDITED - date changed due to many Open Houses!)
- Thursday, October 16th, 2014 - 6 p.m.-whenever Golden Palace, 2195 Carling Ave, Ottawa
- Thursday, December 4th, 2014 - 6 p.m.-whenever Golden Palace, 2195 Carling Ave, Ottawa
- Thursday, January 15th, 2015 - 6 p.m.-whenever, Museum of Nature, 240 McLeod St., Ottawa (free admission and parking for teacher's Wine and Cheese event - contact Shauna at firstname.lastname@example.org to join us!)
- Thursday, March 12th - Chapters/Indigo, Pinecrest
- Wednesday, May 5th, 2015 - 5:30 p.m.-whenever University of Ottawa, Desmarais Building room 12012 - Dr. Joel Westheimer "What Kind of Citizen" lecture - free! Sign up here.
I am ridiculously excited to spend some time in the Think Tank and see where our imaginations take us.
If this sounds like it could be for you, leave a comment, tweet at me (@misspollock), email me (email@example.com), tweet with the hashtag #thta, or just show up!
Sign up here for more info:
Sign up here for more info: